Craftsman Bungalow House Tour - 2013
The Society's 43rd Annual House Tour was held on Sunday, October 6. The 2013 House Tour theme was the "American Craftsman Bungalow," and so homes built in this style between 1905 and the early 1930's were featured.
The Beato Home at 54 East Street
This home was built between 1926 and 1927 by Giuseppie (Joseph) Beato, with the help of his brother Louis and his sons David and Michael; his future father-in-law; Louis Stolt and Louis's son, Dominic.
This "Sears & Roebuck" Craftsman home is a one-and-a-half story home with a low pitched front gabled roof, which is typical of about one third of all Craftsman homes, and wide unenclosed eave overhang. It has a full porch supported by a grouping of three tapered square columns at the corners and two towards the center. The columns rest on brick bases and have spindled railings and brick front steps. The windows are eight-over-eight, double hung.
Joseph Beato purchased the land from Clarence and Nellie Palmer on August 8, 1924 and the Hazleton Kit #1916from the Sears, Roebuck and Company catalog.
The five room bungalow kit contained all that was needed to build a ready to move in home. It included lumber, lathe, shingles, mill work, flooring, roofing, siding board, finishing lumber, pipes, gutter lash weights, hardware, cement blocks, cement and painting materials and the floor plans.
The kit cost just $1,049 with the additional cost of $64 for a warm air heating plant for soft coal and $95 for clear red oak from Minnesota for floors, trim, doors which also included two French doors and beveled mirror and doors for the linen closet.
In February of 1928, Joseph and his bride, Philomena (Florence) Stolt, spent their honeymoon in their newly built home. They raised three children there and both Philomena and Joseph worked at the American Can Company in Fairport for many years. This home has been in the family since it was built - currently, Joseph and Philomena's daughter lives there (2013).
37 Parker Street
This Craftsman, built in 1910, is also a one-and-a-half story home with a low pitched front gabled roof, a wide unenclosed eave overhang. There are several triangular knee braces under the front eaves and a dormer on the south side that has exposed rafter tails.
The home has a full porch which was likely an open porch at one time. The double hung windows on the porch match the three vertical panes on top with one single pane on the bottom window that is throughout the rest of the home. You can see on the outside wall of the front of the home the original wood shingle siding.
The current owner (2013) purchased the home from the estate of Georgiene Bolton. Georgiene's father, James H. Bolton and his wife Edith owned the home from around 1930 to 1950. He was one of the early employees of the American Can Company working there for 50 years.
Upon her death, Georgiene Bolton bequeathed her hat pin collection to the Perinton Historical Society.
752 Whitney Road
This home was built about 1932. It is a one-in-a-half story side gabled style with overhanging eaves and front dormer. The windows are all double hung windows with three vertical panes on top with one single pane on the bottom.
The porch was originally open and had three sloped columns. At some point the owners enclosed the porch and added windows that match the main house. The side entrance has a gabled roof with triangular knee braces and exposed rafters.
The original double car garage (above picture) has wood doors and windows that mirrors the top section of the windows in the house.
The Craftsman Bungalow presentations given by the tour committee in September of 2013 can be downlaoded in PDF format:
Other tours can be found on the Historic Tours page.
For more information on Craftsman architecture and other styles in our area view the Architectural Styles Guide.