People of Perinton
All stories must be or original content and sources of information noted as appropriate. If possible provide electronically.
Page under construction!
Hiram and Leander Moseley were brothers that moved to and settled in the Town of Perinton around 1839. There home was on Moseley Road (Route 250).
An article about Carmen Peck was written by Bill Poray for the November issue of our newsletter, the Historigram.
Carl W. Peters
Creator of the mural in the Fairport Public Library (Museum) at 18 Perrin Street.
Ellen Stoll Walsh
Illustrator of children's books and the three mice statue outside the Public Library on South Main Street.
Thomas G. Coffee (1886 – 1958)
Thomas Coffee was Superintendent of Fairport Schools for 26 years - 1925 - 1951.
Martha Brown (1890 – 1966)
A teacher in Fairport Schools from 1920 – 1957. Honored for her many years of service, and her place in the hearts of the community, with the designation of Fairport’s Junior High School as Martha Brown Junior High School.
Helen Deland (1869 – 1956)
Daughter if Henry and Sarah Parce Deland.
Joe Cummings (1911 - 1995)
Cummings was involved in Fairport athletics for 36 years. More than a coach. He was a motivator, educator and an inspiration to every student.
Elma N. Gaffney (1893 – 1980)
In the early 1930s Elma Gaffney began helping out at the public library. She became a part-time librarian in 1933, temporary director in 1935 and full-time director in 1938.
Dr. George A. Dean (1904 - 1970)
He served as the town’s medical officer for 14 years, and was the physician for Fairport Schools from 1942 to 1967, although his service was interrupted by World War II.
Daniel B. Deland (1823-1872)
Daniel along with his wife started the DeLand Chemical Company in 1854. He became a leading citizen in the community. Daniel DeLand was a Town Justice, an active member of the Democratic Party and an active member of First Baptist Church.
Minerva Parce Deland (1829-1902)
Wife of Daniel B, Minerva who, with a servant girl, purified wood ashes that he collected and packaged them for sale as saleratus. Daniel then went out and sold the finished product. After Daniel's death, she and her son Levi along with brother-in-law Henry ran the Deland Chemical Company.
Henry Addison Deland (1835 – 1908)
Henry, Daniel’s younger brother, joined his brother's business and was a very successful salesman. He bought a large tract of land Florida and proposed a planned community, which is now called Deland, Florida. Deland College the first college in Florida is named for him. It was later named Stetson University.
Austin R. Conant (1838 - 1925) & Mary Conant (1840 - 1921)
Son of early settler, Austin worked at Deland Chemical as their head bookkeeper. He built 30 West Street, which is now on the National Register, living there 10 years as well as 36 West Street and several others in the Village.
Isaac S. Hobbie (1820 - 1909)
Caption in Civil War, teacher, engaged in the manufacture of water and gas pipe and the construction of water and gas works, having factories at Elmira and Tonawanda. married to Emily Ayrault and moved to Fairport in 1889.
William Boyland (1866 – 1935) & wife Belle Boyland (1872 – 1963)
He came here in 1884 and worked in the feed and flour mill which he later purchased. He and his wife lived at 30 West Street in the Village.
George S. Filkins (1838 - 1917)
A prominent figure in Fairport in the late 1800s due to his service in the Civil War and his impact of the development of the village of Fairport.
Albert Knapp (1912 - 2005)
Albert is perhaps best known for his role in local politics. He started out with a position on the Perinton Recreation Commission. He was elected Village Mayor in 1963 and served as Village Trustee for four years starting in 1967.
William H. Dobbin
William Dobbin built many houses in Fairport. His own home is at 141 West Avenue.
In the February 2014 issue of the Historigram Willaim Dobbin recalls the circumstances of 1859 which caused him to meet his future wife, Miss Margaret Calder. Download the February 2014 Historigram issue to read The Reminiscences of William Henry Dobbin.
Published in the April 2014 issue of the Historigram is a story from Mr. Dobbin recalling a story told to him by his father. Download the April 2014 issue of the Historigram to read the article, Going to the Mill with Eight Bushels of Wheat.
Charles Howe (1846 - 1903)
Mr. Howe was closely identified with the industrial growth of Fairport and was on of its most influential and respected citizens. He and his family lived in a fine house at 26 Perrin Street designed by John Rochester Thomas.
Claude M. Lumbard (1876 - 1940)
Claude Lumbard and his father Charles (C. M. Lumbard) were partners in the Pilot Concrete Construction Company. Claude too over the business when his father died. He was the general contractor for the Fairport National Bank and Trust Company, now the Bank of America (2020) at 58 South Main Street in Fairport.
Agnes Sproul (1856 -1929)
Millinery was a lifelong passion of Miss Agnes Sproul. In 1884, she purchased the millinery business of Mrs. William Bly, then located in the Bown block, later occupied by the Clark Building. Sproul learned the business from Mrs. Bly.
John Rochester Thomas (1848 - 1901)
One of the most prolific architects in the late 19th Century, John Rochester Thomas was born in Rochester, NY. At least three of his designs are among the architecture of the Village of Fairport.
John Ayrault (1787-1861)
IN 1831 John purchased 300 acres in Perinton on what is now Ayrault Road. He was a very successful farmer.
Emily Ayrault Hobbie (1823-1904) & sister Celestia Ayrault Celestia Ayrault (1821-1889)
Dauhgters of John Ayrault, they grew up on the farm on Ayrault Road. In 1886 they along with Issic Hobbie, purchased 30 West Street in the Village, in order to raise their bother Allen's 3 children.