Wilbur House

187 South Main Street, Fairport, NY 14450

The Grand Dame of Fairport

S.Main187v1DDFritsch2015WebThe Hiram Wilbur house was built in 1873. It is an excellent example of Second Empire French Chateau architecture. Over the years it has come to be known as “The Grand Dame of Fairport”, and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1980.

Second Empire Style

Features include heavily decorated cornices, arched and shuttered windows with keystones, a tower with ornamental iron grill work, and a slate mansard roof.

The home is built of painted brick. A later two-story addition on the rear of the home is built in the same style.

The house also features two elaborately detailed porches. The house sits proudly on a large village lot, surrounded by tall trees. A barn, hitching post and gazebo are also on the grounds.

House History & Designation

In the 1940’s the property was known as Nanbeth Hall, and was used as a school and home for exceptional children.

It was designated a Fairport Village landmark in September of 2008.

 

   

S.Main187v4DDFritsch2015web

S.Main187v8DDFritsch2015Web

S.Main187v6DDFritsch2015Web

S.Main187v10DDFritsch2015Web
 187 SMain 02Web

 

For more information on the FHPC and
designated landmarks, go to the village preservation page or the village website.

 

Search

S.Main187v2DDFritsch2015Web
Front entrance to this Second Empire style home. Photo was taken in 2015.


S.Main187v5DDFritsch2015Web
Entry lantern image taken in 2015.


S.Main187v9DDFritsch2015Web
Dormer window with shutters.

 

Wilbur House
The photo is from the 1976 Landmark Survey.

 

Wilbur House
A similar view taken in 2008 of the south side of the house.

(photos taken in 2008 and 2015)

bottom5© Copyright 2004-2013