Filkins in Fairport Historic House Tour - 2017
Held Sunday, October 1, 2017
Filkins in Fairport was the theme of the Perinton Historical Society’s 37th Annual House Tour, that took place from 1 to 5 p.m. on Sunday, October 1, 2017.
The 2017 tour featured a neighborhood that was heavily developed and altered by George S. Filkins. Two streets that bear his name (Filkins and George) are home to a number of houses that were built, lived in, or relocated here by Mr. Filkins in the late 1800's. A Civil War veteran, Filkins was an entrepreneur whose roles included serving as a Fairport village trustee, as well as being a developer and builder.
Just around the corner from Filkins Street, and still in this charming area of the village, is The Inn on Church, Fairport’s newest B & B at 11 West Church Street. This lovely, old, beautifully renovated building was open for touring, and will also host a reception with informative exhibits about George S. Filkins and the Inn itself.
Tickets for the House Tour were available for sale at the Perinton Historical Museum on 18 Perrin Street, the Fairport Library, and Perinton Town and Fairport Village offices beginning September 18.
Society members received their tickets in the mail.
If you have not joined the PHS as yet, go to the Membership page and either download the PDF form or pay online.
For more information on the houses on the 2017 tour:
14 Filkins Street
This circa 1870 home is a classic vernacular L-shaped gable style from the late 19th century. It is two-story with a front gable and side porch. Doric columns support the porch. Windows are two over two double-hung.
Past owners included Dr. Samuel Ellers Putnam (1855-1915), a veterinarian who practiced in Fairport for 28 years, and George Goodrich, who was a firefighter for 55 years, including 32 years as chief, from 1923-55. He worked to raise money to build the fire hall adjacent to the Village Hall. He also served as Fairport School Tax Collector, on Consolidated Health Board, and as a Town of Perinton Welfare Officer.
27 Filkins Street
It is unusual in that the front gable is stepped into two gables. The full width one-story front porch has Queen Anne posts. The front door has a full-length stained glass panel. There are stained glass panels above two large front picture windows. On the north, is a pairing of three windows, two double hung, and one with a stained glass panel above a picture window. In addition there is a square stained glass window on the south side.
A bay, accented with decorative corbels on south side, accommodates the interior stair landing.
35 Filkins Street
This home was built circa 1870 in the Italianate style. It is distinctive as one of a few brick houses in the neighborhood.
It is a square format with a low-pitched hip roof and widely overhanging eaves. Originally there may have been decorative brackets under the eaves. At the base of the first floor is a plinth course, likely made of limestone.
The double hung windows have two over two sashes. There are two rows of rowlock brick that form the segmental arch of the windows.
It has a one-story 20th Century colonial portico with columns, pilasters, and pediment and full paneled door. There is an enclosed side porch. Historic maps and photos show the home had a full width front porch until at least the 1930s.
41 Filkins Street
This side gabled house has a secondary gable in front with a full one story front porch. The gable roof extends out on both sides. The multi-level eave style is a feature of the Shingle style.
Built in the late 1880's, this home has a grouping of two narrow windows in the front gable. This grouping of windows was a popular feature first used in Italianates. The full front porch has Doric column supports.
35 George Street
This home built in 1900, is a classic cross-gabled vernacular house. It is simple in form and decoration. The siding is the original wood clapboard. The gables have clapboard with triangle cut-outs to make it appear to be shingles. The two narrow windows grouped together in the front gable are indicative of earlier era houses.
The garage built in 1920, has Dutch cove siding and the original doors that slide on a metal track.
Early 20th Century owners were Samuel and Grace Greenfield. He was an electrician, and she was the principal of the East Avenue School (Northside), as of 1940.
11 West Church Street
The Newman - Dean House & Barn at 11 West Church Street have been designated landmarks by the Fairport Historic Preservation Commission. In 2016, new owners renovated them, and embarked on a new venture, establishing The Inn on Church*.
The building at 11 West Church is a beautiful Victorian home, a fine example of the Queen Anne style. William M. Newman built the Queen Anne portion of the home in 1893. Prominent Queen Anne features include the front facing gable, one story wrap-around porch, various size windows, and the round turret or tower on the side. The property also has a large gambrel roofed barn.
The Inn has a dominant front-facing gable, steeply pitched roof and a wraparound porch that echoes the curve of the round tower. The turret or tower has patterned shingles and raised decorative banding. It has a candle snuffer peaked roof with original slate and finial. Decorative shingles can also be seen in the porch pediment.
The front gable has a triangle section extended forward with decorative brackets and a group of three windows with enframement. There are pent roofs enclosing gables on front and side. The home has windows of all shapes and sizes. Many have single large panes of glass in the center surrounded by small glass panes.
Documents indicate that the barn is post and beam with a gambrel roof. It is believed that David Hines used the barn for his harness making in the 1830's.
* In 2020, the Inn was closed and the property once again, became a residence.
For more information on architecture styles in our area, view the Architectural Styles Guide.
See the calendar for dates of upcoming tours and enjoy brief descriptions of past tours within the Historic Tours section of the site.