ARCHIVED August 2023. Please visit for current information.

West x West x Woodlawn Tour

House Tour Goes West: West x West x Woodlawn - 2019


History of the Streets

Some of the street names have changed, but many of the vintage homes constructed on them still remain the treasures they have always been. This year’s house tour on Sunday, September 29th, will feature homes on three streets on the north side of Church Street: West Avenue, West Street, and Woodlawn Avenue.

West Avenue used to be called Cherry Street, because of the extensive cherry orchards at the site of what is now Packett’s Glen. The east end of the street was once a mixture of commercial and residential buildings. The street originally went from Main Street to West Street, was later extended just beyond Cole Street, and finally to Nelson Street.

This Queen Anne at 29 West Street is the home of Ellen Stoll Walsh. On the right is 30 West St.

West Street is one of the earliest streets in the village of Fairport, with many homes built between 1852 and 1872. Two main landowners were Martin Wood, who owned property on the west side of the West Street, and Omar Wilcox, who owned much of the property on the east side.

Woodlawn Avenue, once named Woodland Avenue, was part of property owned by Martin Wood, a Fairport farmer who owned six acres called Woodland Farms. The street was originally named after the farm.

We’ll retrace the “steps” of a race in 1899 down West Avenue, between a horseless carriage and a horse. (Bill Poray’s article on this race was featured in The Post, February 28, 2019).

WestSt30v1CAngevine2009Many of the houses on these streets were already built by 1899, and have been beautifully preserved. One of them, the Conant - Boyland House & Carriage Barn at 30 West Street, has been designated a local landmark by the Fairport Historic Preservation Commission, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

We hope you will join us on Sunday, September 29th, to walk this remarkable neighborhood, and get a look inside some of these historic homes.

To the right is the Conant - Boyland House & Carriage Barn at 30 West Street.

TICKET INFORMATION: The tour is free to all members. Not a member? Join by visiting the Museum at 18 Perrin Street, or join at the Fairport Library, Village Clerk’s office and Town Clerk’s office.

SPECIAL HOURS: The Museum will be open at 11:00 a.m. on the day of the tour until 5:00 p.m. Join us there for history displays pertaining to the tour houses and light refreshments.

 14 West Street

WestStreet14v1DDavisFritsch2007PRThis home was built c. 1860 and is a Greek Revival. The features include: a hipped roof with dormers on the south and north sides, a Greek Revival entry, a single paneled door with abbreviated side-lights, and a door surround with pilasters and a wide entablature.

The house itself has a wide cornice below the eaves, 6 over 6 double hung windows, wood shutters, and wood clapboards.

Early owners were Mrs. Eldridge per the 1872 map, W. A. Trescott, Adelaide Archer, Leon M. Sherburne, Lucille P. Redhead, Allan R. Boemaan, John Artz, Warren Bastian and the current owner Drew Saum.

Per the 1902 map, Willis. A. Trescott, “Pioneer in Fruit Grading Industry” (Fairport Herald 1938), owned this house as well as 18 West Street. His wife’s obituary states that they built 18 and it was their family home. His company, Trescott Manufacturing, had a building on what is now Railroad St.

Leon M. Sherburne was a furniture maker and funeral director c. 1909.

Lucille P. Redhead was a founding member of the PHS. Per the assessment records, it appears she owned the home from 1927 to 1945.

There have been several changes to the house and barn over the years. The doorway was moved from the front of the home to the side. Several additions have been made over the years. The original barn that was to the southeast of the building was replaced in 1921, and likely moved to its current location. It was replaced again in 1985, but the owner used some of the original wood in the rebuild.

 29 West Street

westst29v2ddfritsch2010webWest29v1DDFritsch2019PRThis home is a Queen Anne style. In 1895, it was built for C.F. Parmalee by William Bly, and cuts a unique profile with its diagonal square tower. William B. Bly also built a number of houses in the village that also have tower structures incorporated into cross-gable forms. Bly's home at 20 Woodlawn Avenue is a locally designated home.

From the 1930s to 1977, it was the home of Bessie Kinney. Bessie was the Principal at the Midvale School on Baird Road in the Town of Perinton.

The current owner has worked diligently over the years to preserve this very unusually designed home. At one point, the foundation had been compromised, and the turret had begun to pull away from the walls of the house. Once those structural repairs were completed, other exterior and interior work began.

westst29v1ddfritsch2007webThe original front porch rails had once been replaced with inappropriate wrought iron. The front steps and rails were restored to an original look, as was the rear porch. Five years ago, the exterior colors were changed.

All of the interior woodwork was stripped and refinished, and the attic was converted to a studio. The current resident is a writer and illustrator. A previous owner replaced a rear staircase that met the front staircase at the landing with a small powder room. Significant plaster repairs have been completed. Note the narrow floorboards on the second floor and the wide hallway. Future plans include relandscaping the yard.  The property also has a large carriage barn.



 WestSt30v14DDFritsch11.21.15PR30 West Street

The Conant - Boyland House & Carriage Barn at 30 West Street, has been designated local landmark by the Fairport Historic Preservation Commission, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The property was home to several notable families: the Conants, Ayraults, Hobbies and Boylands. It was built in the Gothic Revival or Carpenter Gothic style in 1876. The property met three criteria for designation: economic and cultural significance, historic personages, and is representative of an architectural style.

The Gothic Revival architecture style of the Romantic Era was popular between 1840 and 1860. It was used in the design of homes through the 1890's, and churches into the 1940's. The Carpenter Gothic term came from the decorative details of this era made possible by machinery to plane and turn wood.




 124 West Avenue


124 West Avenue was likely built in the Greek Revival style c. 1860 and updated in about 1876, adding gables and Italianate detailing.

It is believed that the original house was the front section. The side and secondary gable, hooded round top windows, and bays were added by 1885, along with other Italianate details. The front porch has Colonial Revival column supports, which would have been added at a later date.

There is also a bay window on east side and a rectangular bay window with one large window on the west side. 

An early owner was likely N. Hosford. The 1872 map indicated his name on the property, and showed a structure on a large plot of land. Another owner was  Myron J. Kellogg, per the 1902 map.

The Kellogg family members were descendants of an early pioneer family. Myron J. Kellogg was a merchant and partner in Howe and Kellogg. located in the Bown Block on Main Street.  He died in 1910.

It appears that his son Gordon H. Kellogg and family moved in with his mother Mary at 124 West soon after. Gordon built the house next door at 126 West Avenue. Mary’s (Matie) maiden name was Hill, daughter of Emma Hill Bly who lived at 20 Woodlawn Avenue.

 35 Woodlawn Avenue

Woodlawn35v1DDFritsch2014PRWoodlawn35v1DDFritsch2019PRThis home is thought to have been built in 1880, but it does not appear on the Beck & Pauli lithograph (Bird's Eye View), which was published in 1885.

An article in the Monroe County Mail in October of 1892 states "A. J. Dewitt has moved into a new home on Woodland avenue, recently built by his mother-in-law Mrs. A. L. Keller."

Adelbert S. Dewitt, a WWI Navy Veteran, was a later resident.

The home has features of a Queen Anne style with the front facing cross-gable, and a small side porch that was a full wrap around, per the Sanborn map of 1905.

The porch supports are turned, a typical feature of a Queen Anne. Many homes in Fairport have an interesting mix of popular styles. The front and side gables of this home have Gothic Revival peaked windows.

Another noticeable Queen Anne feature is a two-story rectangular bay with a gabled roof. The home has retained the original wood clapboard siding and a field stone foundation.


37 Woodlawn Avenue

Woodlawn37HT2019Woodlawn37v2DDFritsch2019PRImagine building a house from start to finish in 8 months - with just one hand! The feat was performed (with some help) by Conrad Klett, circa 1908.

A German immigrant, he and his wife found themselves in Fairport two years earlier. This construction is unique, and has been termed "overbuilt", as he installed many studs that extend from the basement to the attic.



 17 Woodlawn Avenue

17 Woodlawn Avenue has a single story porch on the front of the house, and a bay window with an upstairs open porch. Upper level porches are a key feature of a Queen Anne style house. It also has turned porch supports that are of that style.

The balustrate of this home has carved spindles and a newel post with round topper.
The porch supports are also turned like many Queen Anne style homes.


For more information on architecture styles in our area, view the Architectural Styles Guide.

See the calendar for dates of upcoming tours and enjoy brief descriptions of past tours within the Historic Tours section of the site.


The barn or carriage house at 29 West Street has visible signs of horses, with hoof marks on the back/east wall, and evidence of cribbing in that area. There are 3 small horse stall windows on the south side.

35 Woodlawn Avenue has a Gothic Revival style window in the peak of the gables.


37 Woodlawn has a broken pediment, which is also referred to as a cornice return.

If you are interested historic tours from previous years, go to About, Historic Tours.

bottom5© Copyright 2004-2013

ARCHIVED August 2023. Please visit for current information.