First Baptist Church of Fairport
92 South Main Street, Fairport NY 14450
This article was written in 2008 and does not include any changes occurring since that time.
In 1842 the "First Baptist Church and Society of Perinton" was incorporated with 28 members. Rev. Franklin Woodward, the first pastor, purchased property at the corner of Main and Church Street. A wood frame church was built. As the congregation grew, it became necessary to build a larger church.
Fairport's DeLand family were early members and key contributors to the construction of the new church. Constructed in 1876 and 1877, the brick church is built in the shape of a cross, 90 ft long, 45 feet wide, and 15 feet for each side transept. The bell tower is 13 ft square and is eighty feet tall. The spire rises to a total of 184 ft above street level.
It has been frequently hit by lightning. The spire leans slightly to the east due to the prevailing westerly winds.
The presence of Fairport First Baptist Church is considered a cornerstone of Fairport's small town atmosphere. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a Village landmark in December of 2008.
The architect for the First Baptist Church of Fairport was John Rochester Thomas.
The photo at left taken in 2015 was provided by Joe Pompili.
For more information on the FHPC and designated landmarks, go to the village preservation page or the village website.